GCO Season's Greetings 2018
Our theme this year is: the philatelectic joy of EU accession – or rather stamps issued on the occasion of joining the EU!
- In 1957, six core states founded the EU's predecessor, the European Economic Community: Belgium, France, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands and West Germany (and yes this was preceded in 1952 by the creation of the ECSC).
- Britain, Ireland and Denmark joined on 1 January 1973.
- Greece joined on 1 January 1981.
- Spain and Portugal on 1 January 1986.
- Austria, Finland and Sweden joined the EU on 1 January 1995.
- Czech Republic, Estonia, Cyprus, Latvia, Lithuania, Hungary, Malta, Poland, Slovakia and Slovenia joined on 1 May 2004.
- Bulgaria and Romania joined on 1 January 2007.
- Croatia joined on 1 July 2013.
- (to be continued!!!!)
Compliments of the season from all at GCO and our best wishes for a healthy, safe and prosperous 2019!