EU UPDATE: Iran Sanctions Extended
The EU has adopted further restrictive measures against Iran, matching new measures adopted by the USA.
The measures consist in :
- A prohibition of all transactions between European and Iranian banks, unless they are explicitly authorised in advance by national authorities under strict conditions ;
- A ban on export to Iran of materials relevant to the Iranian nuclear and ballistic programmes or to industries controlled by the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps;
- A ban on import of natural gas from Iran into the EU, as well as finance and insurance related to these activities;
- A ban on export to Iran of key naval equipment and technology;
- A prohibition for EU Member States to provide financial support for trade with Iran and to participate in the construction of new oil tankers for Iran;
- An addition of 34 Iranian entities and one person to the EU blacklist, which are subject to an asset freeze and a travel ban.
The measures can be found at :
- COUNCIL DECISION 2012/635/CFSP of 15 October 2012 amending Decision 2010/413/CFSP concerning restrictive measures against Iran,
- COUNCIL IMPLEMENTING REGULATION (EU) No 945/2012 of 15 October 2012 implementing Regulation (EU) No 267/2012 concerning restrictive measures against Iran,