> 25 May 2018 has become one of the most important dates ever created by the EU. It is the date on which the General Data Protection Regulation (or GDPR) enters into force.
Although there are substantive changes brought in by GDPR the big change is enforcement with the potential for very substantial fines to be imposed on those in breach.
GCO lawyers and consultants have been advising on GDPR and its predecessor (the Data Protection Directive) for many years. As lawyers we recognise that our most likely contribution will be in the future - supporting and defending clients in regulatory /administrative law investigations and procedures.
Our particular skills are both at the EU level - raising EU procedural and substantive issues in defence of our client’s interests - as well as at a national level whether in Belgium, UK or elsewhere in the EU.
In the meantime we have teamed up with a longstanding friend of the firm, Jonathan Armstrong at Cordery Compliance to bring our clients access to two innovative products developed by Cordery:
Cordery GDPR NavigatorTM
Cordery GDPR NavigatorTM is an expansive set of resources and a community of peers to help companies get ready to face possibly their biggest compliance project of the next few years. Your subscription will provide regular updates and the chance to shape future content.
- > Video briefings
- > Written guides
- > Policies and procedures
- > Checklists
- > Networking with your peers
We have produced a number of short briefings on a range of topics from our state of the art studio facilities. Our high quality, professionally produced videos are filmed in High Definition so they may be shown on a big screen but can also streamed on mobile devices. You may choose to use the briefings as part of an internal training programme.
- > Quick introduction to the Regulation
- > Frequently Asked Questions
- > Being a Data Protection Officer
- > Information security and its critical role
- > Consent
- > Dealing with a data breach
- > Right to be forgotten
- > Right to portability
- > Profiling / Automated Processing
- > Privacy Impact Assessments: best practice and top tips
Our content can be streamed online or seamlessly integrated into your Learning Management System. Alternatively we can work with partner organisations and their platforms to deliver an all-in-one package.
Cordery GDPR NavigatorTM includes a series of clear and concise written guides explaining this changing area of law written by our legal experts:
- > EU Data Protection FAQs (download a pdf version here)
- > Accountability and Audit
- > Geographical reach
- > Data Controller or Data Processor – what do these terms mean and which are you?
- > Fine determination – work out what the consequences of a breach might be
- > Appointing processors – how to reduce your risk
- > One-stop-shop – determine who your regulator will be
- > Binding Corporate Rules
- > The security provisions of GDPR
- > Glossary of terms
- > EU GDPR Articles Index
Policies and procedures
Templates relating to the most significant areas of change are presented in Microsoft WORD ready for you to tailor to suit your company’s policies, procedures and circumstances:
- > Subject Access Request Policy (Short form)
- > Subject Access Request and Right to be forgotten procedure (with detailed guidance)
- > Data breach procedure
- > Data breach log
- > Consent – how to deal with the new regime
- > Privacy Notice Checklist
- > Data Protection Officer job description and role profile
Networking with your peers
You’ll have the chance to join a regular teleconference with other companies who are part of the Cordery GDPR NavigatorTM community. Each teleconference will look at progress with implementing the Regulation. In addition we will focus in on a different aspect of the new rules each month. There will also be a chance to benchmark what you are doing with others in a safe environment. The teleconference will take place at a time to accommodate participants joining from the US and Europe.
Contact John Grayston in the first instance to receive full details of these products.